Sunday, July 20, 2008

Sesame Street

I am a visual learner. I remember more by what I see then what I hear. I have a better chance of telling you the plot of a movie I saw last week than the topic of the conversation I had only two minutes ago. That is one reason that I am grateful for technology that allows us to watch videos and see pictures of things we are learning about. Although this is only one small piece of the broad term "technology," I believe it has helped me in many ways during my lifetime of learning.

In my life, I have used visual technology to see things that I would be unable to see in my life. In school as a child, I remember watching videos on history, different countries, animals, and even a series on sea life and ships. Because we were unable to visit other countries or watch animals in their native habitat, videos and pictures were an important aspect of understanding those topics. One may describe a traditional dance of Lakota tribe, for example, but in order to understand it better, it helps to be able to see it visually.

Videos, DVDs, and television have enhanced my learning outside of the classroom as well. Watching movies and television shows, taping my own videos, and being able to see photos taken by friends and family as they traveled have all affected my learning. Besides, where would we be without shows like Sesame Street to watch as children?

No comments: